How To Make Fruit Salad


Video on Making Fruit Salad: @RoyalGreenDiary 

Today, I'm going to be tossing an organic fruit salad and the end result is going to blow your mind. If you ever try to make fruit salad and you always end up making a smoothie or maybe you go out there and you buy from a vendor and it tastes like water, maybe there's something that you are not doing right and you're going to learn from this video. You are going to see how I'm going to be doing it and it is going to be really organic in nature.

 I heard that some fruits were in season and I decided to get some. I got this generous slice of watermelon. I got a cluster of carbide free yellow ripe bananas, sweet like sugar, yellow like Fanta. I also got some papaya fruit and it was almost the size of my head. Lastly, I got a perfectly ripe sweet pineapple fruit. I had already washed the fruit off camera as so I had to proceed to peeling and slicing. 

To peel the papaya fruit, I gently place it on a plastic chopping board. Although I highly recommend a wooden one. I carefully used a table knife to peel off the outer part of this papaya fruit. The inner part of the papaya looked very juicy and appetizing. Although it had a spot where something was actually going on. I think this is quite common in ripening fruit. And what I just did was that I cut out the area where that over ripening effect was happening. I ensured that the outer part of the papaya was peeled off completely. In case you don't know, the skin of the papaya fruit can taste really [music] bitter or sour in special cases. I had to take extra care to ensure that no part of the skin was left in the papaya to avoid making a bitter product. After I realized that the papaya had been properly peeled, the next thing I was going to do was to slice it into biteable pieces. I had to split the papaya into two equal halves so I could be able to see and take out the seeds. The seeds of papaya have a very undesirable taste. Chewing just one papaya seed while consuming the flesh of the papaya can lead to you spitting the whole thing out. The salad I was making was mainly for personal consumption. 
As for the slices, I'm going to make them a bit bigger than you would normally see because I'm a fan of big slice pieces. If I was making this salad for some other persons, I would ensure that the sizes of the slices were a bit smaller, about the size of a sugar cube. But then again, I had to do what just suits my interest.
After slicing the papaya into the desired sizes, I transferred it into a plastic bowl and I was going to fold it into my refrigerator. But before transferring it to the refrigerator, I decided to have a taste of this food because it looked very appetizing. And trust me when I say it was so good. The flavor of this papaya was so good that I could literally [music] stop this video and end the journey of this papaya right here. But I actually wanted to make a fruit salad that had papaya in it. 

Next up is the watermelon. I could only get just a few slices of watermelon because as at that time the cost of obtaining a full head of watermelon was really high. And as for hygienic purpose, trust me, I got this from a Nigerian auntie. I had to cut the slices into smaller portion that will ease the removal of the outermost part of the watermelon. That is the part of the watermelon that is usually green in color. I was going to be removing this outer part of the watermelon just the way fruit sellers do it and never get hot. I'm not a huge fan of watermelon, but for this salad making purpose, I was going to deal with I wanted to know if the outer part of the watermelon was actually edible and I tried it and it was horrible. I regretted doing that. 

Do you know that present day watermelon looks and tastes nothing like watermelon 100 years ago?


 Through years of selective breeding, humans have been able to control the genes of watermelon in order to produce a sweeter and more desirable fruit. And so, most of the companies that hold patent right to this fruit have engineered the fruit to become completely seedless. 
That is you can literally find a watermelon that contains no seed. I believe I'm very lucky to be in a part of the world where seedless watermelons haven't flooded the market yet. I carefully removed the seeds from the watermelon as you all saw earlier on. And I sliced the watermelon into pieces just like the papaya that you all saw earlier on. At this point the watermelon had began to lose water because I could see everything dripping right there.

After slicing the watermelon to a desired size, I was going to transfer the watermelon into a plastic bowl and I was going to forward it into my refrigerator for storage. Before heading to the refrigerator, I decided to have a taste of the watermelon. Tasted good as watermelons, although it was a bit too watery and less sweet than the papaya. As for the bananas, I aligned them all on my chopping board and I was going to slice them into biteable pieces just like I did for my watermelon and my papaya, but this time it was going to be circular. For better understand it, I'm going to be slicing each finger of these bananas into cylindrical shape. After slicing all the bananas to the desired size, the next thing I was going to do was to transfer it to a plastic bowl and then forward it to my refrigerator for storage. I place this in a very cool part of the refrigerator just to preserve the appearance, texture, and taste. 

Next on my list is the pineapple. The pineapple that I had was a perfectly ripe one, and this what I highly recommend if you're making salad. I had to switch knives because I wasn't able to cut through the pineapple with the knife I' had been using earlier on. Although the knife wasn't sharp enough, but it was still going to do the job because I had no other option than this. I proceeded to shearing the bottom of the pineapple and it wasn't easy at all because the knife was very blunt. It wasn't sharp at all and it wasn't able to cut through the pineapple easily as I expected. While still attempting to cut that bottom part of this pineapple, I also saw  some ants that were extracting some sweet juices from this pineapple. I was in a very good mood and so I wasn't going to hurt any creatures, so I just let them go with the scraps. 

I flipped the pineapple fruit to the other side and I was going to cut the top part of the pineapple. Most people would prefer not to add pineapples to their salad. They rather have mangoes, apples, cherries, or even grapes rather than having pineapple in their salad but I'm making this salad for personal consumption. And pineapples are one of my favorite fruits. And if I didn't add pineapples in there, it might taste very incomplete. Like I stated initially, I was working with fruits that are readily available, fruits that are easy to find, fruits that were in season. And since pineapples were available and they were one of my favorite, why not? I had to take one of them. I switched back to the other knife to enable me peel the pineapple fruit properly. 

Apart from using pineapples to make salad, we can also juice them into healthy organic drinks. And some of you all may also like to include them in your cocktail. Apart from the yellow pineapples that we all buy from the market, there is also what we call the pink pineapple. 

The pink pineapple is owned by a company in Costa Rica and you cannot legally grow a pink pineapple for commercial purposes. If your farm is detected, it will be destroyed because those fruits are patented and growing them is an infringement of patent rights. That means you do not have the right as an individual to grow this pink pineapple by any means. But the yellow pineapples are free, legal, and accessible. You have the right to grow, sell, transport, and trade with them commercially. After splitting my pineapple fruit, I had to open it and I saw that it was really fleshy, which was a good news for me because I love when pineapples are really fleshy and juicy on the inside. I couldn't resist the smell of this pineapple, so I gave it a taste secretly.

 And then I proceeded to slicing and dicing into biteable pieces just like our watermelon, papaya, and bananas that we did earlier. With the pineapples, the papaya, the watermelon, and the bananas all set and ready to go, I was set to combine the fruits into the right proportion to make the perfect salad. I wasn't going to be using just fruits because it's going to look rather boring, so I had to add stuff like peanuts and milk into this just to switch the bits up. In a clean glass bowl, I added some portion of the pineapple, a larger portion of the papaya because this was going to serve as a source of sugar for the salad, and so I had to put some more. I added just a little quantity of the watermelon because I didn't want this salad to look too watery at the end. Then I added my preferred quantity of bananas into the same glass bowl. Since the salad was for immediate consumption, I added some freshly roasted peanut followed by some powdered milk. 

You could actually add any milk product of your choice, whether it's condensed milk, full cream milk, skimmed milk, or if you want plant-based milk like coconut milk or soya milk, feel free to go ahead because it's what you want. But as for me, I was going to work with what I had available at the moment. I added a unit of evaporated milk into the fruit bowl before proceeding to tossing the salad. 

To toss the salad properly, I used a wooden spatula. To stir and combine the contents inside the fruit bowl to ensure uniform distribution of everything I'd added in there. I had to be very gentle to avoid crushing or mashing any of the fruits in order to produce a smoothie. A fruit salad will not be palatable when it's very watery or when it's soggy in nature. So I had to really control the way I toss the salad. The method I used is called dig and flip. As you can see, I dig in from the side and then I flipped it and then I dig in again and then I flip it. 

As as for fruit substitution, you can actually choose to switch any of the fruits that I added in here. You can use even more or less than the number of fruits that I used. You may decide to add apples, mangoes, berries, cherries, or even a coconut. But please do not add coconut water. After a while of tossing the salad, I realized that every part of the salad had become uniform. At this point, I could call the contents in the bowl a fruit salad. I meticulously divided the entire fruit salad into three portions. One portion for me and then the other two were for those that were hanging around waiting to devour this fruit salad once I turn off the camera. 

Before I continue, I bet you love to give this article a big thumbs up and drop a comment to support our work. I ensured that each of the portions had a fair share of the various fruits I used in making this salad. I used a plastic spoon to avoid mashing the fruit, so that it wasn't going to become watery or soggy at the end of the day. Someone might be asking himself a question right now. Why must I consume fruit salad? Well, you should consume fruit salad because it comprises mainly of organic and natural fruits. Not just that, but it's also refreshing and hydrating. So, it can also serve as a substitute for water. 

After dividing the toss salad into three equal parts, I was going to be adding some milk powder, followed by peanuts, and also going to add some evaporated milk. And so, it's safe to say that the salad that I made was packed with nutrient-rich materials. Materials that contain vitamins, minerals, proteins, and excellent crude fiber. I also made another bowl of fruit salad just right after making the first one. I ate so much of this salad that I even became more fruitier than you can ever imagine. But one thing was constant. The salad was very delicious. It was so refreshing and mouthwatering. I actually enjoyed making this fruit salad and I can't wait to try it once again. And that will be with another set of fruit or any other possible combinations. So that is how I usually toss a bowl of organic fruit salad. I'll see you all in my next write up.

The video guide is also on YouTube @Royalgreendiary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Started My Small Pepper Garden in Port Harcourt

How to Grow a Cabbage From Cabbage Scraps