How to Grow a Cabbage From Cabbage Scraps


Experiment at Royal Green Diary 

Have you ever wondered if a full Cabbage head can be grown from a cabbage Leftover or scrap?

‎Some months ago, I was in such state.

‎I wanted to carry out this experiment to clear my doubts and establish facts on this note.

‎I went to buy some potatoes from the open air market when I spotted a carefully cut portion of the head of a cabbage that had been left to dry.

‎I asked the vendor if I could take the cabbage scrap along with the potatoes I had purchased. They granted me permission but their assistant tried to play wise yet I was able to obtain this material for free.

‎
The cabbage leftover 

‎When I went home, I used wood ash to rubbed the bottom of the scrap (the part going into the soil) to prevent fungal infestation. Next I took the material and placed it directly in soil in a raised bed.

‎
The just planted Cabbage Scrap



‎After about three(3) days, I noticed some signs of new growth coming from the buds at the remains of the stem. It expanded swiftly in growth within the first few days but later the growth rate began to decline but I had to give it the time it needed.

‎
Leaves sprouting days after contact with soil



‎After about two(2) weeks, the leaves were looking really pale and withered, so bad that I felt the need to check the root system of the plant. As I reached for the root system and unveiled it, I saw some mites and worms that had infested the cabbage plant.

‎Their presence ruined the whole concept as they had consumed the root system of the plant. The plant had a good shoot system but since the root was bad, it couldn't keep growing.

‎These creatures destroyed the whole experiment before I could even notice or do something. During that period I wasn't really paying  attention to most of my gardening experiments and so that was how it all ended.

‎But I'm also happy to say that I'm willing to try this out again some day and I'll talk about it on my YouTube channel @RoyalGreenDiary.



‎So if you'll love to know how and what I'm going to do this time to make a difference, I'll suggest that you subscribe to the Royal Green Diary Channel on YouTube.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Started My Small Pepper Garden in Port Harcourt

How To Make Fruit Salad